Free Tax Assistance (Service provided by trained AARP volunteers)

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free tax-filing help to anyone, with special attention to older and low- to moderate-income taxpayers. IRS-certified AARP Foundation volunteers are available at multiple sites in and around Washington County from late January to mid-April. There’s no fee, and no sales pitch for other services. **Please note that reservations are required at all sites**

  • West Bend: Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 1044 S. Silverbrook Dr
    Thursdays, 9:00 am to 2:30 pm, February 1 – April 12, 2018
    Please call 262-677-1311 for reservations
  • Germantown: Germantown Senior Center, W162 N11960 Park Ave
    Wednesdays, 9:00 am to 2:30 pm, January 31 – April 11, 2018
    Please call 262-253-7799 for reservations
  • Menomonee Falls: Menomonee Falls Library, W156 N8436 Pilgrim Rd (one block east of City Hall)
    Fridays, 9:30 am to 3:00 pm, February 2 – April 13, 2018
    Please call 262-255-8460 for reservations
  • Cedarburg: Cedarburg Town Hall, 1293 Washington Ave
    Wednesdays, 8:30 am to 2:30 pm, January 31 – April 11, 2018
    Please call 262-377-0750 for reservations
  • Port Washington: Port Washington Senior Center, 403 Foster St
    Tuesdays, 9:30 am to 1:30 pm, February 6 – April 17
    Please call 262-284-5821 for reservations
  • Sussex: Sussex Library, N64 W23820 Main St
    Mondays, 9:30 am to 3:00 pm, February 5 – April 16
    Please call 262-246-5181 for reservations

The checklist below includes items you need to bring when you visit an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site for help in preparing your tax return:

  • Last year’s tax return(s)
  • Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and every individual on your return.
  • Photo I.D. required for all taxpayers.
  • Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refund(s).


  • W-2 from each employer
  • Unemployment compensation statements
  • SSA-1099 Form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
  • 1099 Forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
  • 1099-R Form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution
  • 1099-MISC Forms
  • Information about other forms of Income
  • State or local income tax refunds


All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)


Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:

  • 1098 Form showing any home mortgage interest
  • A list of medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), a list of prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services, and bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
  • Summary of contributions to charity
  • Receipts or canceled checks for all quarterly or other paid tax
  • Property Tax bills and proof of payment

Health Insurance

  • 1095A Forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange)
  • 1095B/1095C Forms (if applicable)
  • Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable)


  • Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number)
  • 1098-T and 1098-E Forms (Tuition and Student Loan Interest)