March’s Harvest of the Month crop is Potatoes.
Health Benefits of Potatoes
1/2 cup of cooked potatoes is a good source of:
- Vitamin C and A Vitamin
- Niacin-helps make energy
- Look for firm potatoes with smooth skin and without sprouts.
- Avoid potatoes with any green coloring.
Healthy Serving & Storage Ideas
- Keep potatoes in a cool, dark, and dry place (not the refrigerator).
- Put in a plastic bag with holes for up to five weeks. Do not use if sprouted or softened.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly before cooking.
- Bake, boil or mash potatoes.
OVEN ROASTED POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Combine oil, garlic, basil, rosemary, parsley, red pepper flakes, and salt in a large bowl. Toss in potatoes until evenly coated.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on a roasting pan or baking sheet
- Roast in preheated oven, turning occasionally, until potatoes are brown on all sides, 20 to 30 minutes.
Harvest of the month highlights a locally available crop each month of the year in school cafeterias, restaurants, workplaces, and grocery stores. The program expands across Washington & Ozaukee counties to help children, caregivers, and the broader community learn more about healthy, seasonal, whole-foods eating.